Wednesday, March 30

You Know You Teach K if...

You know you teach Kindergarten if...

You start rhyming out of the blue like Dr. Suess because it grabs and holds their attention.

You can change the words to children's songs on the spot to fit any occasion ("Are you criss-cross, Are you criss-cross, Eyes on me? Eyes on me? Hands in your lap! Hands in your lap! Quietly...quietly.")

You have to start lining up ten minutes early to have time to unknot, tie, and sometimes relace 20-some shoelaces.

You watch your little darlings count their five fingers one by one (for the hundredth time) before adding how many fingers are up on the other hand... instead of remembering to say "five" and count on.

You sing classroom songs in the car on the way home.

You know the alphabet better than anyone...the standard version, the boogie woogie version, the sign language version, forwards, backwards, zoophonics style, sounds-only, awake, asleep...

You walk backwards like a pro...usually...

Your pockets in the morning are full of stickers, gummy bears, and kelso tickets because nothing works faster than a good primary reinforcer.

Your pockets in the afternoon are full of paperclips, stray math manipulatives, and glue stick lids minus the glue sticks.

You break out into your rendition of "Tomorrow" from Annie and "Yesterday" by John Lennon during calendar to shake up the monotony...and the kids just stare.

You've learned to keep an extra outfit at school...the hard way.

You've ever been told, "Mrs. _________, you are one silly woman!" (Of course I am sweetie...I teach kindergarten!)

5 comments:

Abby said...

I sing crazy songs to my kids all the time! Duke of Earl, anyone?! They were *clueless* when my aide and I broke out that one!

Angela said...

lol...I love it! My favorite is when the class breaks out into song...like a mini flash mob of jingle bells during writer's workshop in December...one kiddo starts and then the whole class is in on it. Of course, it is usually just the best known line of the song in an endless repeat! :o)

Mrs. Hicks@hicks-thealphabetgarden.blogspot said...

You hit the nail on the head!! I can't count how many times I have broken out in a song so I wouldn't get bored and the kids...just...stare...~crickets~ then they start laughing as if they get it. Five year olds are the best.

It won't matter how many times you change your blog design-you're just keeping it fresh, girl! I change mine almost every month as a form of "my own creative expression"!

I'm enjoying your blog and will keep coming back!

Julie

Angela said...

Thank you Julie! I appreciate your taking the time to comment...~crickets~...yes, I get that a lot! There is usually one "5-year-old cricket" that pipes up to tell me that I'm silly (or funny)...the best was "Okay that's just weird."

KinderBugs said...

I loved this post! I laugh out loud when I empty my pockets each evening. I've thought about taking a picture because other kinder teachers would definitely get it!