Wednesday, May 11

Kindergarten it is!

Okay folks...so the list came out and...(drumroll)...kindergarten it is! So, after a fabulous grade level discussion at lunch the planning is on! It is amazing how much more relaxed I feel knowing ahead of time what I'm doing next year! Of course, I don't want to jinx myself--last minute changes are not out of the question--but, I'm planning for K full steam ahead!

Our handwriting books are being ordered from print services, as well as morning work for the first half of the year, ReadWell unit copies, and first day parent info packets. The summer will be a great time for assembling poetry/song journals, writing folders, portfolios, and readying things like desk tags. I'm still up in the air on my theme...probably no big changes there. We'll see. I like my "garden-y" theme complete with benches, picket fences, flowers, bees, frogs, butterflies, etc. Easier to keep it and freshen it up.

I will definitely be revamping my library and listening center. I want to have all of my word work activities pre-prepped and organized as well. Hopefully, I will have many more integrated units ready to go this year to...with enough fore-thought finally to jive it with ReadWell and MathConnects as much as possible!

And my biggest I HOPE I CAN DO THIS OVER THE SUMMER item is a Daily 5 Kindergarten conference. Wish me luck...I'm hunting one down asap!

6 comments:

Mrs. Coe said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

www.littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

Ms. Lopez said...

Congratulations! Now you can enjoy your summer.

Donna Richards said...

Where are you doing a Daily 5 conference? I bought the book and wanted to look at it more. Is this something your school already does or just something you are implementing on your own?
Obviously, I don't know much about Daily 5, other than everybody loves it in blogging world.
Thanks
Donna

Angela said...

Thank you for the congratulations...makes me smile!
I just registered (mere minutes ago) for the Daily 5 conference in Tacoma, WA on June 27th. I have the book (also the CAFE Book) and love them. My school pushes Daily 5 big time. They are not paying for my conference, but the cost is well worth it for me. I have been using this for the last 3 years, but really want to hone my skills at developing my kinders' independence. It really beats constantly reworking centers and makes small group time a lot easier to keep up with. LOVE IT! If you're interested, go to www.thedailycafe.com and click on 2011 Workshops for their list of locations. They fill up quickly, I missed out last year...Thanks for stopping by!

Karen said...

My advise to you is sit up close and ask questions. When I went 2 years ago, I asked, "what does daily 5 look like in your class" I was suprised by the answer. Because the class was esl and 1 step from juvie, Gail said she did daily 3- read to self, listen to reading and word work. This makes sense because they could not do read to each other because the kids spoke different languages and would probably hit eahc other. Have fun and welcome to kindergarten!

Angela said...

Hi Karen, thank you for your comment! I will heed your advice for certain. A couple of teachers from my school actually visited their school and observed them in action a few years ago. Definitely makes me feel like if they can do it...I can too! Right now I am basically doing a daily 3 since my listening center is down and read to someone was getting too loud. I hope to do it all next year...

By the way, thank you for being my 50th follower!