Tuesday, June 28

Math Work Stations Chapter 6

Math Work Stations Chapter 6:
Place Value

A majority of what we worked on in kindergarten with regard to place value happened during calendar time. Counting the days of the year, practicing tally marks, counting/trading coins, working with the hundred chart...

We did make use of ten-frames and practiced looking at teens as "ten and ___ more" for a couple of weeks. I'm sure I didn't spend nearly enough time on this concept though. I remember how difficult place value was for my first and second graders when I began teaching. It really is important to lay a good foundation during kindergarten so that they can build on this concept later. Making place value as visual and "real" as possible helps to make the idea more concrete.

Here are a couple of activities to reinforce place value...
Place Value Matching
Count and Stack 30

5 comments:

Annie Moffatt said...

I LOVE these...Thank you so much for sharing!
Annie

Mrs. Mac said...

Thank you-these are really great! Thank you for sharing your good ideas!
First Class With Mrs. Mac

Oceans of First Grade Fun said...

I love your activities! Thanks for linking up!
Ms. A

Chrissy said...

Thank you, Angela! This concept was difficult for some of my kinders and I am gathering everything I can find to help this year's class!

ReadWriteSing

Deedee Wills said...

Angela,

These are wonderful! Thank you!!!!Mrs. Wills Kindergarten