Sunday, September 18

the last two weeks

I've been way out of the blogging groove the last two weeks. I feel pretty out of sync still even with two weeks of school under my belt. Wow...the first month of kindergarten takes it out me! I am so whooped each and every day that I am barely logging on to even read everyone else's posts. Whew! 

There is light at the end of the tunnel though. I am loving the behavior rainbow clip chart, loving the immediate effects of whole brain responsive teaching (call and response, scoreboard), and I love that out of my 24 new kinders that I have no major behavior issues to deal with. It is so nice to merely have to remind the kids of my expectations and have no outbursts, screaming, defiance, or anything. It has made the beginning of the year easier than some years...(thank goodness)...and I think we will be into our school groove soon and then be off and running.

 Stamina for read to self is slowly coming along. We are only at a minute, but they are excited to beat their record each time. I am hoping to get our Daily 5 routine running full-gear by mid-October...we'll see how it goes. Intervention groups begin next week...some semblance of our Daily 5 schedule would be nice by then. Hmmm.

 Thursday is Open House. It's only an hour and most parents have other rooms to hit, so I'm not stressing over it. I will hang our Chicka Trees and probably our Chrysanthemum name work with our first self-portraits. The only thing I have to really consider and prep is my volunteer sign ups...I would love to hear any suggestions out there for systems that work well. I have generally just asked for available days, but I'm thinking I want to set up "jobs" such as readers, reading group game leaders, publishing helpers, etc. I know I read some ideas out there this summer...

I found some fun responsive teaching "brain/body break" ideas surfing the web this weekend. They come from Responsiveclassroom.org and I love that there are videos to help me learn how they each go. Responsive Classroom calls them "energizers" and oh my goodness they look like a really fun way to re-engage students. I can't wait to try some out this week! Enjoy watching...here's a link: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/energizers

 Until next time... Angela

No comments: