Wednesday, January 11

Chin Up (don't worry...not P.E. style)

How does that song go..."don't worry, be happy"...that's about all I remember of it. I've decided that is my theme song for the rest of this year. It definitely beats singing "put one foot in front of the other...and soon you'll be walking 'cross the floooooooor, just put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking out the door" (you know...from that red-headed Santa Clause Christmas cartoon). By the way, that is exactly what I was singing to myself in the car on the way to work this morning. I know...corny...but it is what popped into my head and got me going out the door.

I know I just said yesterday that I am loving this class and loving going to work each day...still true! Just finding it hard to keep my chin up as the talk of RIFs and copy budgets and program cuts keep ramping up. The state legislature is busy at work (making much more than me by the way while they do it...just saying) making next year's budget all the worse. Not to mention, the seniority list came out...and after four years teaching guess who is still 3 from the bottom? Mmmhmmm. Sooo, with a hubby retiring from the Navy in T minus 3 months...let's just say I'm feeling it.

I know I'm not the only teacher in "blogland" facing a looming RIF or an unemployed husband. What's sad is how often I read it. But, as I was sharing my silly stories in my last post...and immediately had a couple of responses...it was clear. Keep your chin up...keep smiling. Positive energy trumps depressive inertia every time. Soooo, I decided I needed to write something positive each and every day...or at least do something positive...even if it's just to smile when I really want to cry. Smell the flowers...blow out the candles. Smell the flowers...blow out the candles. And smile. You'll feel better. (I'll let you know how that goes...) In the meantime, I fully intend to enjoy every second I have left with this amazing group of kinders.

UPDATE:  No RIF!  My job is safe one more year.  And hubby (after five months of looking) finally signed employment papers for a new job…it just won’t start until October.  But, as Pete the Cat says…”It’s all good!" 

Blessed thoughts,

2 comments:

Kristin said...

:( :( :( Awful.
Our school says, "Smell the soup." Then you blow on it to cool it down. But all we have to say is "Smell the soup" and the kids do it. Or I do. :)
Hang in there and keep us posted!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Mrs. W. said...

Thank you Kristin..I think I will go smell the soup! Maybe this congestion will let up! :)