Wednesday, January 11

MLK Project

It's that time of year...time to teach about Dr Martin Luther King Jr.  Here's a sneak peak of what we will work on tomorrow. After reading Martin's Big Words, we will make a project with many of those "big words" from the book. Students will trace the words and then glue the sheet inside of a 12x18 piece of construction paper that is tri-folded so that the ends just meet in the center. On the outside, students will glue different color die cut handprints to the edges of the construction paper flaps so that they overlap as if holding hands.  I love that is is kinder-simple, but very representative of what MLK stood for. What do you think? I will update with pics of how they turn out tomorrow...for now...here's my sample and an insert sheet download freebie.



MLK Dream

On Friday, we will read Happy Birthday Martin Luther King and then make birthday cards as shared by 1st Grade with Miss Snowden. 

**Updated! :) I thought you would like to see how the kids' versions turned out! Here are a few...




5 comments:

Randee said...

L.O.V.E. this! We will also be completing this activity today. Thank you for sharing!!! Did you know there is a United Streaming (Discovery Education) video for "Martin's Big Words?

How about them apples?

Mrs. W. said...

Yes...I wish I had a projector! Maybe I can just turn up the volume really loud on my computer and turn the book pages. Hmmm.

I'm glad you like the project!
Angela

Amy Coates@ SweetExpectations8 or TheClassroomPet.blogspot.com said...

The United Streaming video is AMAZING!!! We are doing a similar activity tomorrow - painted handprints - and then their dream in the middle.

amycoates@me.com

Kristin said...

Very cool!!!!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Heather's Heart said...

I love this!

I just found your blog and am your newest follower! I would love for you to visit me when you get the chance! I have LOTS and LOTS of *freebies*!

Heather
Heather's Heart