Monday, August 6

Monday Made It Time!


It’s Monday…and I made it!  I feel like I just made it too.  This project took me a few days to complete and I wasn’t sure it was going to turn out.  But, it is finished and I am tickled!

My idea came from Pinterest (...last summer).  You can see the picture that inspired me.  Originally, I thought I was just going to find a mug tree and repurpose it.  Easy right? Wrong.  No mug trees at Goodwill, TJ Maxx, Wal-Mart, Target, Kohl’s, That Kitchen Store,  the local thrift store, or the not-so-local thrift store I visited while in Idaho.  Nope.  Nada.  Zippo.  Zilch.  Not to be thwarted another year, I decided I would purchase one online.  Yes, you can purchase them online…if you want to shell out $15-$30.  I did not.

But, as it turns out, my husband had this nifty piece of 1 1/2 inch square wood in the garage that was pretty long.  So, I got to thinking about crafting my own tree.  I sawed off a 15 inch length (shhh…he’ll never notice) and sanded it to round the corners and smooth it a bit.

I had some leftover dowels from some other project long past that I thought would make decent “branches” for my tree.  So, my next step was cutting the dowels to 4 inch lengths and drilling holes to insert them in.  The dowel package said they were 5/16 inch in diameter, so I used the 5/16 inch drill bit. Once I had the dowels in place I wasn’t sure I was completely happy with them.  I mean, they were fine, but I really wanted something more substantial.  And I needed to go to Michael’s anyway for a wood base…so it couldn’t hurt to look, right?

Look what I found!  I was loving these from the moment I saw them.  So, $2.99 for a package of 8 pegs and 4.99 for the circular base (which was really a small clock face…but the only round piece of wood in stock).  And it had a hole pre-drilled in the center, so I didn’t balk at the price too much.  Plus with my 15% off it wasn’t so bad anyway.  I was getting a scissor tree for about $7!

Back at home, I took out the dowels and got to drilling my holes larger for the pegs.  This caused me some grief.  It turns out that it is actually easier to drill into the wood with the big 1/2 inch bit if there are not already 5/16 inch holes.  The bit snagged the hole and I splintered my wood a little.  So I had to fill those areas with some putty (saw dust and elmer’s did the trick) and sand again.  With the pegs in place, it was finally taking shape the way I wanted.  I screwed the base to the tree (pre-drilling a small hole in the bottom of the tree so it would hopefully not crack).  Easy peasy…thank goodness.

The fun part was painting.  After a few coats of paint I have a new scissor tree!  I added the class set of (same color-same size-no reason to fight over the good ones) scissors that I purchased for 50 cents each at Wal-Mart.  What do you think?  Hooray for Pinterest!

6 comments:

Keri said...

Very cute and crafty!!! I love it!

Lori said...

Pinterest, oh pinterest, how I love you so! Excellent project. It looks super cute.

M.E. Hall said...

What a great way to store scissors and safe space too!

Brandi said...

That came out awesome!

Brandi
Success in Second Grade
Don’t forget to check out My Summer in Pictures Linky Party

Angela W. said...

Thank you! You are all very sweet!

Mrs. Payton said...

what a great idea - how cute!