Saturday, January 5

January...

January…wow.  I am amazed year after year how much faster time seems to slip away.  Each school year evaporates faster than the year before.  It really makes me frantic that my time is not being used as intentionally as it needs to be…

It is my goal to teach with intention…and intensity.

I head back to school on Monday.  Two more days of relative leisure.  Everything is relative after all.  My house has been gotten pretty well back in order.  It has been a busy break with my two oldest children moving out.  Sigh.  My only consolation there is that they are together…and not far away.  The nest is not empty either.  But walking into their rooms still elicits that same feeling you get standing in your empty classroom after the last day of school.  =(

And time goes on…

January in kindergarten is usually very exciting.  I am looking forward to witnessing the leap that many of my babies will make in their reading and writing.  You know the one…that amazing and inexplicable leap they make so suddenly this time of year.  It does my heart good.

We will be learning about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  And we will keep writing away…starting with writing about snowmen (a favorite).  I am also anxious to start putting their number sense and all of our counting practice to the test as I introduce addition.  I usually wait until spring for this math unit, but then feel short of time to get that sense that they’ve “mastered” as much as I wanted.  So, I have pushed number recognition and counting to higher numbers earlier and will begin addition earlier. We will see if it pays off.

We will also revisit all of our classroom rules and routines.  After a big break (and after a month of sloppy behaviors that we blame on holiday excitement…and a month of sloppy routines brought on by holiday extras) it is always necessary to tighten the reins and reinforce expectations.  Daily 5 stamina needs to be re-addressed and practiced…and goals for the rest of the year set and made exciting.

It’s a big month!  Here is what I created to record our goals on.  Kinders can color a star as they reach a goal.  Click the picture to download a copy for yourself.

No comments: